Monday, May 16, 2011

Relay for Life

Cancer is a scary word…it usually is accompanied by fear, anxiety, pain and the memories of loved ones lost…

However, this week it took on a more positive light…especially with the word SURVIVOR added to it.MJ's Visit 016

So that’s why I chose to celebrate with two very important survivors in my life this last week.  This is my Mom and her best friend, Darlene.  They’re both survivors.

There was a special dinner for Survivors earlier in the week and a relay on Saturday, where people pledge and walk for the fight against it. You form teams and take turns walking for the 24 hour relay, and have a dang good time doing it with all of the company and entertainment! It’s a great fundraiser for ACS.relayforlifeMy Mom was out of town for the relay, so I walked to represent, plus it’s been a while since I’ve been in town to go.MJ's Visit 008MJ's Visit 010

They had a beautiful luminary ceremony at night and we walked around the track with a luminary representing each person.  We put out one for my Mom who survived and one for my Grandpa who didn’t.

Pregnant MJ 033

The bump (which has suddenly popped this week) got to sport this…I’m eternally grateful that my Mom fought it and was blessed to beat it…there were times when we both thought she wouldn’t be around to see her last two kids get married or enjoy her grandchildren. Miss Amelia-Jayne is a lucky little girl to have her Grandma…

Pregnant MJ 032

and so am I. : )

MJ's Visit 017

No comments:

Post a Comment