Friday, May 20, 2011

Domestic Desires

So, there are certain “wife/mom-type” things that I’ve pretty much stunk at, like  cooking, sewing, and most things remotely domestic.  It used to sort of bother me that I didn’t have domestic “skills” (does anybody else instantly think of bow-staff skills when they hear this word? Thanks, Napoleon.) most think are necessary, but I’ve slowly come to the following conclusions over the last year:

  • I don’t have to be good or even know how to do everything in this vague category.  If it doesn’t come with time, it won’t come at all so I just shouldn’t worry about it.
  • If I were good at cooking, I. would. be. HUGE…So, I should really count this one as a blessing.  Besides, with my major and everything, I would really like to focus instead on healthy whole foods for our family.  But J and I still have our sweet tooths, so we won’t be going too granola-y anytime soon.
  • I want to learn how to sew.  I don’t need to be that talented in it, just know how to do it right so I can do a few cute things for babies, fix things that need fixing (like hems and other small tailoring fixes), whip up a simple window treatment on the cheap or make an occasional Halloween costume. Nothing too great, just the know-how to turn to when I need it most.
  • I want to learn how to decorate a cake without it falling over or looking like I finger painted it.  Not like it’s a necessity, but it just looks like SO MUCH FUN (Cake Boss!). I can not wait to throw kiddie birthday parties.

So, to start on my first goal, my mom taught me how to sew on her new sewing machine with these Cloth Diaper Burp Cloths.  The irony of the Ice Cream ones make me laugh…they should make breastfeeding covers in that material…or maybe one with cows on it would be more appropriate = ).MJ's Visit 034

My second sewing project was this rag quilt…it was supposed to be a “super-easy” quilt but ended up taking FOR-EVER.  It was fun though to feel like I made something substantial (don’t laugh!) and hopefully the bambina will get a lot of use out of it.

 This is the back side before I cut and washed it (I was stoked when my seams and X’s lined up…it’s the little things, ya know ;)…

Pregnant MJ 025

And this is the front after I washed it…it fluffed way up!MJ's Visit 027

(I’m slightly in love with the crazy, semi-not matching fabrics…they just make me feel bright inside)

My talented friend Kaity, had a great tutorial about felt rose buds, so I’ve been experimenting and having fun with them.  She has an awesome one on a felt activity book that would be fun to try later if I get really ambitious. Thanks Kaity!

MJ's Visit 037

Some of the experiments…I want to be able to mix and match them on different headbands (we’re making soft baby ones out of tights or knee-highs) or pins for outfits… so I got felt in every color and it’s my sit in front of the TV but still feel semi-productive project.

MJ's Visit 044

I’m also having fun with random ribbons/scraps and trying some pinwheels to make bows (not sure if that’s a real name for them or just making it up…haha) like these two I made for our niece, Ann.Pregnant MJ 005

Hopefully there will be more to come soon…but don’t hold your breath too much, I feel like preggo hormones give you ADD.

6 comments:

  1. dang miranda! great job on your projects! i LOVE the blanket and the burp cloths! you are a much better seamstress than I am. I tried making a couple aprons for christmas presents and punched my stupid sewing machine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha...thanks, Joy! I know how you feel-there were so many times when I had to just walk away from the machine for the day I got so mad:) And, totally jealous you have one- I'm just using my Mom's. Congrats on your sweet little boy!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh all of your projects are adorable! You're already super crafty mom! And I def. want a cow-print nursing cover now! Great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I aaaam crazy about the super non-matchy colorful blanket, thank you veery much! You are not nearly as bad as you think you are, especially after all that Brazilian deliciousness you made me. Mmmmmm...I'm so ready to enlist your help with crane-stringing, btw! :-D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Look at you, all domesticated! You're going to be such a great mommy and I don't think you give yourself enough credit with the "wife/mom" things. :) Love the quilt!! I've been wanting to learn how to make one. Maybe you can show me this weekend? Can't wait to see you. xoxo!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your projects all look amazing! All Artsy-Smartsy :) I love it! I hope I get a little girl someday so I get to make cute girly things too!!

    ReplyDelete