Saturday, July 3, 2010

Making Bread...

Jordan and I love bread...especially that of the homemade variety. We're pretty much carboholics. Unfortunately, when you move to a different country, almost everything you need for your cooking and baking needs is completely different...and I'm not just talking about google translating the ingredient list! The "farinha de trigo" (flour) is different, we don't have measuring cups or measuring utensils (you have to develop some serious skills at "eyeing" everything), the yeast is slimey, nobody can seem to explain the difference between baking powder and baking soda (which is slightly problamatic with some baking) and don't even get me started on the sugar. BUT, I hadn't made any good old fashioned bread since Jordan and I were dating...so, I gave it a shot last week and this is what I came out with... Aside from the different shape and taking over 4 1/2 hours to rise, it tasted pretty good! And Jordan approved...
(Please excuse the messy kitchen...I live with 5 boys)

So guess what I'm making again today?
Rice, beans and.....bread.

Maybe I'll get the hang of this international cooking thing after all!

2 comments:

  1. Well, I'm proud of you, no measuring cups?? Impressive! I can't wait to see you guys in SEP. wahoooo!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks!!! We're so excited to see you guys too!!! Hooray for being there during Peachy Days too! Woot!

    ReplyDelete